The waitlist TO APPLY FOR MAINSTREAM HOUSING VOUCHERS will be open for one week ONLY
March 18 to March 22


The voucher application process requires paperwork that you may have to go somewhere to get. You may also need to ask for help to fill out the application. If you’re not being supported to choose where you’d like to live, please contact RCI and let us know how we can help. We can tell you if you qualify, help you get documents you need, and help you fill out the forms to apply.

Who Qualifies?

If the answer to all three of these questions is “yes,” you qualify:

  • Do you have a disability?
  • Are you older than 17 and younger than 62?
  • Do you live in a group home, adult foster home, nursing home, or mental health facility?
What Documentation is Required and Where to Get It

1. Proof of your age – This is on a photo ID, if you have one. Your age is also on the benefits letter, which we’ll talk about next.

2a. Social Security Benefits Letter – You can get a benefits letter online at To create an account you need an email account you can access, your Social Security number, and your mailing address. If you can’t go online, you can call the toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).


2b. Verification of Disability – Home Forward has a form here. On the second page, there’s a list of who can fill out the form.

3. Verification of Transition Plan – RCI mentors can write this verification. Or staff at your home can write it. Example letters are available here. The verification needs to have three parts:

1.     Description of the setting from which the applicant will be transitioning.  Description should include:

a.     Name of setting or program and your address

b.    Description of how the setting meets the characteristics of an institutional or other segregated setting:

Institutional and other segregated settings include, but are not limited to: (1) congregate settings populated exclusively or primarily with individuals with disabilities; (2) congregate settings characterized by regimentation in daily activities, lack of privacy or autonomy, policies limiting visitors, or limits on individuals’ ability to engage freely in community activities and to manage their own activities of daily living; or (3) settings that provide daytime activities primarily with other individuals with disabilities.

2.     Confirmation that you plan to transition out of the setting with a housing voucher within three months.

3.     Signature of the person writing the verification.

Before RCI can write a verification, we will meet with you at least once.

Where do you find the application?

The required forms are available on Home Forward’s site here. The links at the very bottom are forms you can fill in on the computer, if you have trouble writing or if it’s more convenient.

Where do you send it?

Home Forward

Attn: Rent Assistance

135 SW Ash St.

Portland, OR 97204

Applications must be in the mail by March 22.

Who can help me?

If you’re having trouble with the forms, contact Home Forward at 503 415-8050.

If you need help getting something or reaching out to someone, contact RCI: